Monday, August 11, 2014

Giving My Lips The Stick

If there were such a thing as Lip Gloss Anonymous, (or maybe there is - not sure if this site is actually legit), I would be attending regular meetings for my addiction. I just checked and I currently have eight tubes in my purse alone -  I'm obsessed! I mean, it's even in my blog title people, it's serious! I'm pretty sure this love affair with the glossy stuff began when I was given my first Bonne Bell Lipsmackers gloss as a young girl (oh, I know you know what I'm talking about). Since applying Skittles flavored lip gloss is no longer considered acceptable once you hit adulthood, my tastes have matured, but still I have a hard time committing to a lipstick purchase.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of lipstick and those little tubes always look so glamorous; I just don't typically like the feeling it leaves on my lips or the way it seems to make them look drier than the Sahara. Oh course I've worn lipstick before, it had just been a while, so on my last trip to the drugstore, I decided I ought to purchase myself a proper tube...or two.

What I picked up were these littles babies - Maybelline New York's Color Sensational Lipcolor in 'On the Mauve' (445) and Rimmel London's Lasting Finish Matte by Kate Moss in 'Rossetto' (104).


On the Mauve (left) | Rossetto (right)

Due to its clever name, I decided to go for 'On the Mauve' first.


When I had swatched it on my hand in the store, I did notice a bit of shimmer, but nothing major. When I applied it to my lips however, yikes! Remember those frosted lipsticks that were popular in the 90's? Yeah, thats the first thing that came to my mind. It doesn't look too bad in the shot below, but let me tell you, in person I was looking frost bitten! 


It's a shame too, because the color is actually a really pretty plumy-mauve. Maybe I can figure out a way to "thaw" the look out. Unfortunately though, the negatives don't end here. While the lipstick was moisturizing and didn't gunk up on me, its lasting power was just eh. By the time I had finished my morning coffee, almost all of the color had gone. 

Luckily, I wasn't out of options yet! The dream of giving up the sauce gloss was still alive! Enter the lovely 'Rossetto.'


I knew that since this shade was considered matte, I wouldn't have the same problem I had with 'On the Mauve,' but I did worry it wouldn't be moisturizing enough. I thought ahead and gave my lips an extra pass of my EOS balm, applied the lippie and crossed my fingers. BAM! Mission accomplished! 


I love every.flipping.thing about this lipstick. Great color? Check! Moisturizing? Check! Long-wearing? Ch-che-check! This mahvelous dahling stayed put for almost four hours. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but my gloss addiction may be a thing of the past. Oh no! Or could it be that the gloss was just my gateway drug and now I'm a full on lip junkie? I'll let you decide.


x's,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips