Friday, August 1, 2014

Fit Friday - Do You Zumba?

“Ditch the workout, join the party” – that’s the Zumba motto and with good reason! For those of you who have never attended a Zumba class, it’s basically like hitting your favorite club – minus all of the creepers trying to buy you a drink or dry hump you. In other words, it’s awesome!
I go to two Zumba classes a week and I can honestly say, that on those days I am SO much more motivated to workout. For one, you kind of feel like if you don’t go, all your fellow Zumba-ites will secretly be wondering why you’re absent – “Oh where’s Cassie? I bet she went to McDonalds for dinner and is in a food coma right now.” Sadly this is a true story (that has maybe happened more than once); I do love a cheeseburger! The great thing about working out in a group, is that it has a way of making you hold yourself accountable. Two, its just.plain.fun. Seriously, it brings out your inner pop star when you start to learn all of that choreography! Most of the music used for the classes has a Latin flair, but depending on your instructor, they may also include some hip-hop and pop as well. And three, you will sweat like you never have before; it is a killer total body workout.



Have I convinced you to give it a try yet? Here’s how to prepare for your first time!
Stay Hydrated – I’m not only talking about during the class. You need to make sure you drink a ton of water before, during and after. On days I do Zumba after work, I make sure I’m drinking water all day long; if I’m going to a morning class, I’ll drink up the night before.  Not getting enough liquids can cause you to not only feel like crapola during class, but can also lead to cramps and headaches after. No bueno.
Stretch/Warm Up – Please do not show up five minutes before jump right in! Zumba can be pretty intense and doing that will only set you up for injury. I suggest you stretch out for at least 10 minutes before and ideally, I would even jump on a treadmill (if you have access to one) for a quick warm up. You might think you don’t want to waste your energy before class, but believe me, you will feel much more energized if you do than if you walked straight in from off the street.
Wear Comfy Workout Gear – Do you want to feel like a stuffed (sweaty) sausage for an hour while you dance around? Probably not! Make sure whatever you wear to class is comfortable (cute doesn’t hurt either!) and not too restrictive. We’ve all seen the ladies constantly pulling up their pants or tugging down their tops – don’t be her. Wearing gear made from moisture wicking fabric is also a must. Like I mentioned earlier – sweating? Yeah, you’re going to be doing a lot of that. The question is, do you want everyone else to know just how much, by looking at your butt crack sweat stain? Didn’t think so.
Go Full Out – I know your first few times to Zumba can be intimidating, but let me assure you that no one is paying attention to how off-rhythm you are or that you just missed half of the choreography. Everyone is too busy staring at their own moves in the mirror to ever notice yours. So, don’t hold back – have fun and go full out! Don’t let your workout suffer, because after all, that is why you’re there.



If you want to find out more or find a class near you, check out the official website here.
Have any of you lovely’s tried Zumba before? Any other group fitness classes you recommend? Let me know in the comments below!
x’s,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips